Monday 5 December 2011

HOW TO// The best ways to look after you shirts


'Most men only wear their dress shirts once. It is likely that there are plenty of dry cleaners on your way to work. Make it a routine to drop off and pick up your clothes frequently. If you are concerned with the costs, call around and find the best rate for cleaning your dress shirts. Chances are you will find a cleaner for 99 cents per shirt....' -www.ties-necktie.com


This information isn't very strong and I'm not sure I am going to use it. I could call and see how much it would cost at a dry cleaners to clean just 1 shirt? That would be positive information to have in a booklet 


Here is a questionnaire I found on the internet and the question was...


'I'm curious, how many of you hang your dress shirts? how many of you fold them and store them in a drawer? is there an advantage to doing one over the other? I generally hang all of my dress shirts - the only drawback is that some of my shirts get those annoying shoulder bumps because the hanger might not be wide enough. the collars also get flattened because i'm sharing closet space with my wife and everything generally gets smooshed together, but I suspect the same thing would happen in a drawer...'


This guy got answers like...

  •  'I hang them. My wife and I have separate closets so I can do as I wish with my clothing. They either hang in the closet or on the hanger on the steamer...'
  • I hang them. Drawers are expensive in bulk....'
  • Shirts are best hung...'
  • Hung.Why don't you buy one of those cheapo portable hanger stands for your shirts so they don't have to be "smooshed" together?...'
  • I hang all of my dress shirt, if I folded them in a draw there woudl be marks on the shirt when I unfolded them which would only create more ironing to do...' www.styleforum.net
I think it good to get honest answers from the public or the audience as its true and you can believe it. Sometimes you can be given information that could be made up. It hasn't come from a person but a company name. 


WASHING



Wash your own shirts: the basics


Before you put soap and water to your shirts you must first read the care labels stitched inside. Designers and manufacturers actually do care about how you clean their garments and these labels are your guide. In fact, some shirts truly should be dry-cleaned only. If you don’t understand these symbols you should check out the extensive listing included in the AskMen.com Style Bible that categorizes and explains each symbol in detail. Your next step is to remove collar stays and button up the collar and a few chest buttons to prevent the shirt from becoming twisted and entwined in the machine’s agitator or with other garments that put far too much stress on the seams and fabric.

What you'll need


A conventional washing machine is designed for convenience of use and not the preservation of your favorite shirt. Therefore, read the operating instructions and then wash your shirts on a delicate or hand-washable setting. This will slow down the revolutions and actions of the center agitator. Some newer machines do not use an agitator, however, you still want to use a lighter-action setting. Warm and cold water are best for maintaining a shirt with colors. White shirts will require hot water and a dash of real bleach from time to time to keep the collar clean and free of stain buildups. When possible, opt for a hypoallergenic, high-efficiency detergent without dyes or scents. All of those extra additives may seem appealing in a store but they break down the fibers in clothing and add an additional scent to your groomingregime. A color-safe bleach is appropriate for a shirt with color stitching or designs, but use these sparingly as well.

Read more: http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_500/505_how-to-wash-your-own-shirts.html#ixzz1fwGjqjTt



-http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_500/505_how-to-wash-your-own-shirts.html




No comments:

Post a Comment