Thursday 9 January 2014

Practical// Cover Research

Finding a nice visual for my album cover is essential as the cover is what will attract the audience to buy the album.  Below are a series of designs and album covers I found that have inspired m4 to think of certain design techniques. 

Flow 


This I found on designspiration and is a good example of what I want to achieve with my album cover. It's basically I lot of layered triangles. I like how the white gives a glossy and shinny effect to this design.  

Ten Days 



10 days is a series of magazines. They have taken to using triangles a lot and in a result it has become an identity for the collaboration. This isn't the best example I have found but it does give food for thought. 

Art Print 


This appealed to me because the triangles make the design look 3D. The colour pallet in this design doesn't appeal to me that much though, I like the blue, but the brown next to it doesn't work to well, it gives a muddy finish. 

Trippo


I felt that this could be perfect to display the bands name on. Experimenting with a whole different bunch of shapes could work for me also. I like the idea of repeatedly spinning the shape round and seeing what I find. I might be able to create a shape or something alone those lines! 

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks



Nine Inch Nails's Hesitation Marks is great inspiration. This cover looks very much like psychedelic album cover to me and that's why it stood out. Tame impala use very psychedelic visuals in their album art work and I intend to do the same as thats is what most suits the band music and genre. If I don't go down the triangle road, I very much want to go in this direction. 

Lainus Suplementos J.Marsh


This cover is pretty much exactly the road I want to go down. These shapes and colours are very much associated with the psychedelic scene. I have has experience with doing stuff like this. If you take a picture of inside a crystal rock with a macro lens, the above is very easy to accomplish but at the same time is very effective in performing the role as a album cover. 

Visual Work Jack Vanze



To me this looks like acrylic paint roughly spreded across a marbled piece of paper. That or the pink layer is on asetate and has been placed on top of the marbled paper. The final result is most effective. I don't like the album cover that much though. The circle doesn't work for me. I think maybe a square outline would have worked better in the final 

The Vines: Future Primitive



I'm beginning to find many examples of marbling on album covers. It is a very effective album cover and this example above is a great example. The second example is very striking and attractive. The only problem with it is you can see the dryness of the paper and this to me makes it look a bit warn. Some might argue this is a good thing, but the psychedelic colours look better with shinny finish, like actual marble for example. 

Ital / Hive Mind 


This album cover really stood out to me. I can't think how this has been done but I can see some plants and that makes me think there is a a photo within this design. Within the circle you can see almost these lines of oozing paint. The album looks a bit pixelated to me, this could be because the picture I have is of a small size but even then it I think this. The paint looks sharp and the plants in the background look blurry. This could be to do with a depth of field approach to the design. 

The Oscillation - La Boca 


To me this looks like a photograph of something under the microscope. Such a genius idea, I wonder how the pink has been executed, I really like the graininess of the image. It makes it look screen printed almost. The yellow of the type works very well against the image and helps the viewer find it easily, its not ineligible in the slightest. This is a great example of wanting an album just because the visuals are outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment